Film Permits in Nepal can generally be categorized into two broad categories.
First is the one-time filming permit which is a legal document that authorizes you to film in Nepal.
This is issued by the Ministry of information and costs you around 15000 USD.
Second is the special permits that you require to film in special locations or under special circumstances.
These will cost you extra and will require different processing at different authorities.
Some of the special film permits you may require in your filming process are:
● National Parks Filming Permit:
If you want to film in any national park and conservation areas of Nepal to capture the essence of wildlife then you will require a filming permit approved by the Ministry of Information & communication and from authorities of National Park as well. This will cost you extra!
● Heritage Areas Filming Permit:
While Heritage areas like Pashupatinath, Durbar Square, Swayambhu are considered sensitive areas, you can still get a filming permit under the close supervision of the municipality district office and Ministry of Heritage and Maintenance.
● Public Area Filming Permit:
Public Area Filming is done in coordination with the local police authority and the Ministry of Information to ensure the general flow of public is not disrupted.
● Private Property Filming Permit:
If you want to film in hotels, cafes, villas or other private properties, the local fixer or production company in Nepal can coordinate with the owner to get you permits.
● Drone and Air Permits:
Drone and Air Permits are more sensitive and complicated than other filming permits as it has been prevalent in Nepal in recent years only. At Nepal Film Production, we specialize in acquiring Drone and Air Permits with coordination from the Ministry of Information & Communication, Home Ministry, Ministry of Defence and National Aviation Authority. Aerial Permits need approval from all the ministries and they all appoint a liaison officer from each ministry listed above for supervision.
Different Authorities and Approval for Different Film Permits in Nepal
- Consent Letter of Department of Archaeology if filming in archaeological places like Kathmandu, Patan, Bhaktapur, Changunarayan, Durbar Squares, Boudhanath, Lumbini, Swayambhunath, etc. For filming in these areas, the Department of Archaeology will appoint one liaison officer who should be paid NPR 200.00 every day as allowance.
- Consent Letter of Pashupati Development Fund Office, Gaushala, Kathmandu if filming in the Pashupatinath temple area.
- Consent letter of Sanctuary Fund if filming in Annapurna Conservation Areas.
- Consent letter of Ministry of Culture, Tourism & Civil Aviation if filming is to be done in upper Mustang and upper Dolpa. The fees are the US $5000.00 per each place.
- Consent letter of Department of Wildlife Conservation, Babarmahal, Kathmandu if filming in conservation areas.
- Consent letter of Lumbini Development Fund if filming in Kapilvastu (Lumbini), the birthplace of Lord Gautam Buddha.
Similarly, there are various locations in Nepal that make for a good visual context for your filming. At Nepal Film Production, we also help you in location scouting in Nepal as per the need of your project and can coordinate with local authorities to get you the approval required.
How NFP Helps in Permits
Having worked directly in 131 productions, we know our way through the tedious paper works and complexities in the logistics in the filming and production process.
Similarly, working for a film in Nepal has its own complexities, considering the topography, culture. We assist you to address them as properly. Our crew individuals are adept at coping with all production topics, that allows us to be rehearsed and prepared for on the pre-manufacturing stage.
We are skilled in terms of acquiring permits, film licensing and most significantly prioritize delivering to the best quality. We make certain to punctually honor our mutual agreement among us and our clients.
We leave no room for mistakes and in our beyond revel in; we’ve always had satisfied customers and always finished our production initiatives easily.
Nepal Film Production and its crew participants consider in advance preparations, and that means the entirety of planning and groundwork will be done in advance.
As passionate filmmakers, any project we undertake is something we want to excel at. We ensure that we will live up to the expectation of your production team.